Frank Miller has, over the years, carved out his own little corner of the Batverse with his own special view of the Batman.
Like it or hate it, you can’t deny that it sells in impressive numbers. Unfortunately for fans, these books have not been released in anything resembling chronological order, but then, that’s why this site exists. The correct reading order for the Frank Miller Batman tales – in terms of Batman’s history – is as follows:
- Batman: Year One
- Reprints Batman #404-407 (February 1987 – May 1987).
This volume holds the unusual distinction of also being canon in the Post-Crisis DC Universe.
- Superman: Year One
- Reprints Superman: Year One #1-3 (August 2019 – December 2019).
Placed here as this is essentially a Batman reading order, and Batman’s appearances here must take place after his own Year One story.
- Holy Terror
- Original graphic novel (2011).
Although not a Batman story as such, this book began as one, and it’s not hard at all to read it as one – hence its inclusion here. It is placed here because all the indications in the book are that it occurred early in his career, prior to the recruitment of Robin.
- All-Star Batman & Robin, The Boy Wonder, vol.1
- Reprints All-Star Batman & Robin, The Boy Wonder #1-9 (September 2005 – April 2008).
- Spawn: Batman
- Original graphic novel (January 1994).
This story is also canonical in whatever universe it is that Spawn inhabits.
- The Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade
- Original graphic novel (June 2016).
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
- Reprints Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #1-4 (February 1986 – June 1986).
- Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again
- Reprints Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again #1-3 (November 2001 – July 2002).
These latter two volumes are also available in a single combined edition.
- Batman: The Dark Knight: Master Race
- Reprints Batman: The Dark Knight: Master Race #1-9 (January 2016 – July 2017).